The Bear Creek Church of the Brethren was organized in 1846. The first church building was built in 1858 on a lot donated by John Beeghly. In 1889 the building was torn down and a new church building erected.
In 1898 the congregation changed its name from Bear Creek Church to Accident Church because the church was closer to Accident than to Bear Creek. However, when Jacob Mosser left his estate in 1906 to the “Bear Creek Church” they returned to that name by which it is still known today.
The church was completely remodeled between 1960 and 1963 and the congregation held a dedication service July 14, 1963. On September 8, 1996, the congregation celebrated its 150th Anniversary with past ministers participating in the morning and afternoon services.